I am trying to create a lot of traffic in Carla, e.g. Town06_Opt, by adding 1000 vehicles and 100 pedestrians. Currently, I am experiencing 4 FPS simulation speed, and it would be great if I can get some advice on my current set up and possible improvements.
To elaborate on what I am doing, I am trying to simulate a very busy traffic scene and at the same time to record live LiDAR scans from the ego vehicle.
The following are my current simulation setup:
- Hardward: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2060 Super + 32 GB RAM
- Simulation is done in Unreal Engine Editor and I have turned off the option to “Use less CPU in background”
- Simulation is done in synchronomous mode and with no-rendering option turned on.
Here are the commands I executed to mimic a very busy traffic:
python3 spawn_npc.py -n 400 -w 100 --syncto spawn actors (fewer than I actually need) using example script. Note that FPS drops from 60 FPS to 5 FPS after this.
python3 open3d_lidar.py --semanticto create an ego vehicle with LiDAR to record scans
python3 no_rendering_mode.py --no-renderingto enable no rendering mode
Some questions I have:
- Having no rendering mode on does not seem to affect FPS . I thought it was supposed to help a lot under busy traffic according to: https://carla.readthedocs.io/en/latest/adv_rendering_options/#quality-levels
- Is there a way to identify which is the bottleneck in my simulation pipeline? And some advice on how to improve this?
Thanks! Any help is appreciated!