Error building carla on windows (carladependencies missing)

i’m trying to build carla from source on windows. i am using the master branch. i have Visual studio 2017 installed and also UE4.24.3 installed. my pc specs are pretty good, so no problems there. here are the steps i did:

1. downloaded the master branch and extracted it
  2. opened \unreal\carlaUE4
  3. right clicked on carlaUE4.uproject and clicked on generate visual studio files.
  4. double clicked on the .sln file which was created. it launches visual studio 2017 and loads the project to it.
  5. clicked the play button in visual studio to build the project.

here are the errors i get:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error Unable to instantiate module ‘Carla’: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path ‘\carla-master\Unreal\CarlaUE4\Plugins\Carla\CarlaDependencies\lib’. CarlaUE4 C:\Users\Desktop\carla-master\Unreal\CarlaUE4\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\UnrealBuildTool

so it looks like carla dependencies are missing.

i also tried to do “make launch” and “make LibCarla” from the command line, but it always says that my cl.exe file is broken, although i know for a fact that it is working because i can compile normal cpp projects in visual studio 2017

also, i think i need to mention that i am trying to build this from source because i need to add more pedestrian models into the simulator. the built simulator releases work great.

any help?